A recent lecture by John Taylor Gatto given at The Institute for Theological and Interdisciplinary Studies, February 4, 2011 at Macalester College, St. Paul, MN.

Thanks to Melissa for filming it and making it available. I've put the entire video online in one piece, unedited.

6 comments for “John Taylor Gatto – “Death by Pedagogy: A Teacher’s Polemic Against Institutional Learning”

1. Ryan
    March 14, 2011 at 4:45 pm

Jan, thank you for sharing this. I had to watch it over several days, but I finished viewing today. I’ve read two of Gatto’s books and still find his public speaking to be wonderfully informing.

2. Cody
    March 16, 2011 at 9:27 pm

I truly enjoy hearing Mr. Gatto speak and I can see why he was a great teacher. if you have patience, there can be alot to be learned from his discussions. Thanks Jan for sharing this!

3. Richard
    March 17, 2011 at 5:54 pm

Can you convert the Gatto video to a MP3 so that we can listen to it as a Podcast?

• Renegade
      October 25, 2011 at 10:03 pm

You can watch on youtube and download for free youtube video to MP3 then burn to disc and listen at your own liesure.

4. March 19, 2011 at 6:40 am

this is a very good description of what we must change. everyone should pull their children out of the public fool system and educate their children themselves. BTW- compulsory schooling is the tenth plank of the communist manifesto

5. James Hobson
    March 21, 2011 at 9:35 am

Heard a lot about Mr Gatto – but to hear him speak and see how he has gone from his professional critique of the American schooling system to industry, war, prussian education systems and politics to name a few is inspiring.
    Thanks for the upload.